Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mommymissusomuch

My mother passed and I was over her state had no home only 3,000 in the bank any check deposit in her state $345 do I have to file

I meant to say her estate she did not work she was drawing my father's Social Security
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelL1
Level 15

My mother passed and I was over her state had no home only 3,000 in the bank any check deposit in her state $345 do I have to file

Due to size of the Estate, she has no Estate Tax filing requirement.

If she did have any income taxes withheld on any income you may want to file a final 1040 to get that money back.

If no taxes were withheld and she was just getting Social Security, then there is no 1040 filing requirement, and you don;t have to do anything on your taxes or hers. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelL1
Level 15

Due to size of the Estate, she has no Estate Tax filing requirement.

If she did have any income taxes withheld on any income you may want to file a final 1040 to get that money back.

If no taxes were withheld and she was just getting Social Security, then there is no 1040 filing requirement, and you don;t have to do anything on your taxes or hers. 

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.

3.49m
Members

2.62m
Discussions

Manage cookies
v