• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
slabcity1977

My medical expenses minus 7.5 percent AGI minus HSA distributions don't come close to turbo tax's medical expense deduction entry

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BMcCalpin
Level 13

My medical expenses minus 7.5 percent AGI minus HSA distributions don't come close to turbo tax's medical expense deduction entry

The order in which things are done is this:

1. You enter all medical bills (reimbursed by insurance or HSA or not).

2. You enter your insurance reimbursement, which is subtracted from #1.

3. TurboTax automatically carries over all HSA distributions, which are also subtracted from #1.

4. Any remainder is applied to the 7.5% floor, and the excess (if any) is reported on Schedule A.

If you are looking at some number on the Deductions & Credits screen, ignore it - TurboTax often displays the total of what you entered on internal screens, but the only real number is on Schedule A.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
BMcCalpin
Level 13

The order in which things are done is this:

1. You enter all medical bills (reimbursed by insurance or HSA or not).

2. You enter your insurance reimbursement, which is subtracted from #1.

3. TurboTax automatically carries over all HSA distributions, which are also subtracted from #1.

4. Any remainder is applied to the 7.5% floor, and the excess (if any) is reported on Schedule A.

If you are looking at some number on the Deductions & Credits screen, ignore it - TurboTax often displays the total of what you entered on internal screens, but the only real number is on Schedule A.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v