robkennjon

My kids that I claim and they are 18 & 20 years old and have part time jobs, they rather i not claim them so they get more of a refund back. Will that reduce my refund?

My children 18 senior in high school and 20 year old second year in college, both have part time jobs. I have always claimed them on my taxes, but they ask for me not too, so they would get a bigger return. How much will that affect my return??

jerry2000
Alumni

It does not matter at all what your children want. The question that they have to answer on their tax returns is "can you be claimed" the question is NOT "are you being claimed". So, whether you actually claim them or not, they have to answer that they can be claimed. If you don't actually claim them, then you will lose their personal exemption of $4,050 each and you will pay tax on $9,100 more income than you would otherwise have.

jerry2000
Alumni