Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!

duma672

My husband inherited money from the sale of his family property. I was told it's non taxable but I have to claim it on my taxes. how do I do that?

The sale money was split between all the kids.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Anita01

If the estate sold the property and only distributed cash to you, you have nothing to report.  An inheritance of cash is nontaxable and nonreportable.  If you all actually inherited the property and then you sold it (you meaning your husband and his siblings), then it would be a reportable sale of inherited property.  It sounds like you have nothing to report.

Anita01

Who sold the property, the estate or the children?
duma672

the estate
duma672

Would that cover for the state of Montana filing as well?
Anita01