Solved: My husband has the primary SS# on our joint tax form. We moved for my job, not his. When we go to moving expenses it says "Tell us why you moved".

My husband has the primary SS# on our joint tax form. We moved for my job, not his. When we go to moving expenses it says "Tell us why you moved".

Then it says "My move to a new location was work-related".  But, he says the "you" means him.  So we have to redo our taxes so that my name is the primary on the taxes so "you" will apply to me.  Nowhere does it give you the option of a spouse move.  He is self-employed. I work for an  employer.  

The "you" means Husband, Wife or both.  You do not have to change the return information to switch who is the primary or secondary for this reason (you can change it if you want to, but do not have to do it for this reason).

I just added a move to my joint return.  It does say "you" and I say yes, I did move, and then it will ask if I am self-employed or employee? and if I will meet the tests of time and distance.  

TurboTax follows the language that is used by the Tax Code as much as possible, and when the code is written it applies to single or joint returns.  If it was just for a joint return perhaps it should be worded, "Did either of you move for work-related reasons?" versus you. 

I understand exactly what your husband is saying by "you" but there is no reason to change the primary name, as if you do, it will say "you" again, which can be either or both of you.