turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My father took a loan against his life insurance. He gave me 20000 dollars. I paid for bariatric surgery. Can I claim the full amount as a medical expenses?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelMc

My father took a loan against his life insurance. He gave me 20000 dollars. I paid for bariatric surgery. Can I claim the full amount as a medical expenses?

Yes, with some limitations.

First, I am taking you literally, that your father gave you the money. As a gift, this money is not taxable income to you. 

You can include in medical expenses the cost of bariatric surgery if it is a treatment for a specific disease diagnosed by a physician (such as obesity, hypertension, or heart disease). You would not be able to include the cost of the surgery if the purpose was the improvement of appearance, general health, or sense of well-being. 

Please keep in mind that you can deduct on Schedule A (Form 1040) only the amount of your medical and dental expenses that is more than 10% of your AGI. But, if either you or your spouse was born before January 2, 1952, you can deduct the amount of your medical and dental expenses that is more than 7.5% of your AGI.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MichaelMc

Yes, with some limitations.

First, I am taking you literally, that your father gave you the money. As a gift, this money is not taxable income to you. 

You can include in medical expenses the cost of bariatric surgery if it is a treatment for a specific disease diagnosed by a physician (such as obesity, hypertension, or heart disease). You would not be able to include the cost of the surgery if the purpose was the improvement of appearance, general health, or sense of well-being. 

Please keep in mind that you can deduct on Schedule A (Form 1040) only the amount of your medical and dental expenses that is more than 10% of your AGI. But, if either you or your spouse was born before January 2, 1952, you can deduct the amount of your medical and dental expenses that is more than 7.5% of your AGI.

Thank you very much!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies