Ralpho

My father died & house had TOD Deed to me - on sale I received a Form 1099-S. Since house was TOD & sold below market value do I need to report sale and if so how/where?

My father died May 24, 2018. His house had Transfer on Death Deed to me. The house had estimate value of $280,125. On May 30, 2018, I sold the house and received a Substitute Form 1099-S listing gross proceeds of $240,000. The Closing Disclosure has net proceeds of $237,131.44 after closing costs. Since house was TOD to me and sold 6 days after my father's death at less than market value, do I still need to report the sale and if so how and where on TurboTax?

MichaelL1

Yes, you need to show the sale.

IRS will get a copy of the 1099S.

The sale will be reported in Investment property section.

Due to being inherited it is long term gain regardless if held only 5 days.

Basis is Fair Market Value on date of death.

Sales price less costs (closing costs, clean up etc) equals net sales price less basis (FMV) - gain or loss that will be on your tax return.

MichaelL1

Yes, you need to show the sale.

IRS will get a copy of the 1099S.

Ralpho

Property was TOD to me. I didn't think this was then considered an inheritance? Do I still report in INVESTMENT PROPERTY as you describe?
MichaelL1

TOD is considered an inheritance.  It is same as if it did not have TOD and the Will said it should go to you.  However TOD is much simpler way to transfer upon death.
Ralpho

He also had a few bank accounts TOD to me. Do I need to report the money from these? I thought "The transfer of property of a decedent to....the heirs or beneficiaries, is not a sale or exchange or other disposition. No taxable gain or deductible loss results from the transfer."?
MichaelL1

The bank accounts you are correct there is nothing to report (other than possibly interest).  The house is different as this is an asset you sold.
Ralpho

Thank you!