turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

yuyulim66

My college age son earned $9,000 last summer. How do I report his income? Separate return but I claim him as a deduction? Does he qualify for earned income tax credit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My college age son earned $9,000 last summer. How do I report his income? Separate return but I claim him as a deduction? Does he qualify for earned income tax credit?

You will need to file a separate return for him.  

Yes, you can still claim him as a dependent as long as he was under 24 at the end of the year and did not provide more than half of his own support.  

He probably does not qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit.  To qualify for the EITC you cannot be claimed as a dependent on someone else's and if you do not have a dependent of your own you must be at least 25 years old. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You will need to file a separate return for him.  

Yes, you can still claim him as a dependent as long as he was under 24 at the end of the year and did not provide more than half of his own support.  

He probably does not qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit.  To qualify for the EITC you cannot be claimed as a dependent on someone else's and if you do not have a dependent of your own you must be at least 25 years old. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies