Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My Child's daycare expenses are in my name. Do I have to claim them or can the other parent?

The other parent also contributes to the expenses as well.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ReginaM
Expert Alumni

My Child's daycare expenses are in my name. Do I have to claim them or can the other parent?

Only one parent may claim the child care credit and that parent is the custodial parent.  

You may be able to claim the Child care credit if you paid expenses for the care of a qualifying child to enable you to work or actively look for work.  You can not claim the expenses that someone else has paid.  

For more information on who can claim the Child Care Tax Credit see Publication 17 page 203.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

In addition:

Only the parent that lived with the child more than half the year (custodial parent) can claim the child care credit.

Child care is "work related". It can only be claimed if the care was necessary so that you (and your spouse if married) could work. Only if the child lived with you more than half the year *and* the care was required so that you could work is it allowed. If you did not live with the child or work at the time that the care was provided then it was not necessary so that you could work and therefore is not allowed.

See IRS Pub 503.
https://www.irs.gov/publications/p503#en_US_2018_publink100048433

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies