turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My child is 9 years old why am I only getting back $718 for him.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Not everyone is eligible for the full Child Tax Credit or the full Additional Child Tax Credit.  Most all of the tax breaks and credits run on a bell curve, where it starts at the bottom, then the more kids you have (in relation to your income) the better the tax breaks are until it hits the peak and then the benefits decline dropping down the other side of the bell until there is no benefit at all for additional kids. 

If you look at line 11 of your 1040, your Child Tax Credit cannot exceed that number.  So, if your tax liability is only $718, that is the maximum Child Tax Credit you will be eligible for.  If it would have been zero, then you would not get any child tax credit.  This is a non-refundable Credits and will only reduce your tax liability to zero. The Child Tax Credit is shown on line 12a of your 1040. 

The Additional Child Tax Credit is refundable if you qualify for it. The refundable portion is approximately 15% of your Earned income along with a few other calculations. If you did receive it, you will find it on line 17 b of your 1040. 

You may also be getting Earned Income Credit.  You will find that on line 17a. 

To see your 1040 click Tools>>.Tax Tools>>>View Tax Summary>>>Preview My 1040. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Not everyone is eligible for the full Child Tax Credit or the full Additional Child Tax Credit.  Most all of the tax breaks and credits run on a bell curve, where it starts at the bottom, then the more kids you have (in relation to your income) the better the tax breaks are until it hits the peak and then the benefits decline dropping down the other side of the bell until there is no benefit at all for additional kids. 

If you look at line 11 of your 1040, your Child Tax Credit cannot exceed that number.  So, if your tax liability is only $718, that is the maximum Child Tax Credit you will be eligible for.  If it would have been zero, then you would not get any child tax credit.  This is a non-refundable Credits and will only reduce your tax liability to zero. The Child Tax Credit is shown on line 12a of your 1040. 

The Additional Child Tax Credit is refundable if you qualify for it. The refundable portion is approximately 15% of your Earned income along with a few other calculations. If you did receive it, you will find it on line 17 b of your 1040. 

You may also be getting Earned Income Credit.  You will find that on line 17a. 

To see your 1040 click Tools>>.Tax Tools>>>View Tax Summary>>>Preview My 1040. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies