turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My child has celiac disease and we have to buy special food. I was told that it can be a tax write off but not sure where to put it at

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Phillip1

My child has celiac disease and we have to buy special food. I was told that it can be a tax write off but not sure where to put it at

You may be able claim the difference of the cost between gluten-free food and food that is not gluten free as an itemized medical expense.

IRS Publication 502 states that you can claim the extra cost from special food as a deduction if the following applies:

1. The food doesn't satisfy normal nutritional needs,

2. The food alleviates or treats an illness, and

3. The need for the food is substantiated by a physician.

The amount you can include in medical expenses is limited to the amount by which the cost of the special food exceeds the cost of a normal diet.

The Celiac Disease Foundation has provided a good explanation of this issue with some supporting citations. This can be found by clicking here.

It TurboTax, you may need to enter this on a screen in the medical expense section labeled Other Medical Expenses. This page should provide entry fields for a description and an amount. In the description, I would write “cost of special prescribed food”.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Phillip1

You may be able claim the difference of the cost between gluten-free food and food that is not gluten free as an itemized medical expense.

IRS Publication 502 states that you can claim the extra cost from special food as a deduction if the following applies:

1. The food doesn't satisfy normal nutritional needs,

2. The food alleviates or treats an illness, and

3. The need for the food is substantiated by a physician.

The amount you can include in medical expenses is limited to the amount by which the cost of the special food exceeds the cost of a normal diet.

The Celiac Disease Foundation has provided a good explanation of this issue with some supporting citations. This can be found by clicking here.

It TurboTax, you may need to enter this on a screen in the medical expense section labeled Other Medical Expenses. This page should provide entry fields for a description and an amount. In the description, I would write “cost of special prescribed food”.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies