• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brianjgeraghty

My 1098 Mortgage interest form has incorrect information on it, due (i believe) in part to losing PMI last year; can I use the county auditor's tax number instead?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

My 1098 Mortgage interest form has incorrect information on it, due (i believe) in part to losing PMI last year; can I use the county auditor's tax number instead?

If you are referring to the property taxes paid for your home in 2017, through the lender, contact the real estate tax office in your county to ask how much was paid in 2017.  You are required to use the actual amount paid in 2017.

You are correct about changes in the mortgage insurance premium deductions.

• What's New Expired tax benefits. Certain tax benefits, including the following, expired on December 31, 2016. 
    • The itemized deduction for mortgage insurance premiums

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DianeW
Expert Alumni

If you are referring to the property taxes paid for your home in 2017, through the lender, contact the real estate tax office in your county to ask how much was paid in 2017.  You are required to use the actual amount paid in 2017.

You are correct about changes in the mortgage insurance premium deductions.

• What's New Expired tax benefits. Certain tax benefits, including the following, expired on December 31, 2016. 
    • The itemized deduction for mortgage insurance premiums
brianjgeraghty

Well, of course they are closed today due to the government shutdown, but the county auditor website is actually really helpful and does have the first half and second half payments listed there to the cent. So, I just want to make sure I'm doing it right, but that should be my number, right?
DianeW
Expert Alumni

@brianjgeraghty  Absolutely.
brianjgeraghty

Thank you!
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v