turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Moved overseas for work in july, 2017. How do i file with foreign income exclusion to not pay federal taxes without filing an extension until july 2018?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Moved overseas for work in july, 2017. How do i file with foreign income exclusion to not pay federal taxes without filing an extension until july 2018?

In order to meet the requirements for the foreign earned income exclusion, you would have to be abroad 330 days out of 365, so if you left the US on July first, the earliest day you can file is June 30 2018. You have an automatic 2 months Extension if you live abroad, so you could apply for another extension until October 15th, however, if you do not owe any taxes, no Extension would be required.

Your other option is to use the foreign paid tax credit instead for 2017. This might be more beneficial, if the foreign tax rate is komparable to US tax rates.

MarilynG
Expert Alumni

You have until April 17th to efile your return.  You can file with a Foreign Address, but need a US bank account for direct deposit/payment.

Here's info about Foreign Income that may help you:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3290703

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

that would not work with the FEIE
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies