turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mortgage was sold to another mortgage in 2020. line 2 shows outstanding balance on both totals over $750,000 wants to limit the amount of deduct.Correct Turbotax program?

Because my loan was sold i still only have the same house so turbo tax should not be adding these two outstanding balances together.  When they do it looks like i have a loan over $750,000 which then puts me in another bracket. They now want me to do the limit the amount of interest deduction which is not correct.  Can turbo tax be corrected before taxes are due?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Mortgage was sold to another mortgage in 2020. line 2 shows outstanding balance on both totals over $750,000 wants to limit the amount of deduct.Correct Turbotax program?

The best advice is for you to change the mortgage balance for the loan that was paid off, then put the correct outstanding mortgage principal in the refinanced or current mortgage.  If you are required to enter an amount you can use $1 in the loan that was paid off (it appears this may need to be entered).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
lk55
Level 1

Thank you. I had the same issue from a refinance.  I did have to enter a value.

JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

Yes, if the bank that serviced your mortgage sold the loan to another lending company, your loan was only transferred to the new company -  the same loan amount (maybe different account number).  The mortgage interest on a $750,00 loan ($375,000 for single filers) used to buy or build a home is fully deductible.

See, why is my home mortgage, for any data entry issues. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies