turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Montana Health savings account

My wife and I each have a Montana Health savings account. When filing jointly there is only one place to enter the amount contributed to the MMSA. I entered the total of both of our contributions. However when Turbo tax does the accuracy check it tells me I can not contribute that much. Should I ignore it or is there a way to enter the total for both of us.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

The maximum you can contribute is $4000 each so make sure the amount entered is $8000.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank You! However the program is flawed because if I put it $8000 it shows an error in the error check. I was able to get it corrected by going to the forms mode and entering in the correct amounts manually on the form. In the step by step mode it only gives you the option to enter one persons contribution.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

In Montana, how are you filing? If you are filing married separately on the same form, then you indeed have the option of entering the contributions for the two spouses separately.

So I assume you must be filing married jointly, because now you will see only one box in which to enter the MSA contributions, which does allow $8,000.

Is it possible that you made one pass through the return, then went back and changed the filing status?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You may be right, I don’t recall going back and changing it before I ran the error check. However I did go back and change it to filing joint later and then it did accept the 8000. I didn’t try to file separate again to see what would happen. So maybe it was my mistake. Thank you for your time.  Jason

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies