nighternettax

Mobile home space rent as home office deduction. How? (TurboTax considers home as owned)

I had the home office for years in a rented place, where I deducted a portion of the rent as my home office deduction. How I moved to a manufactured home, but I still pay space rent on the land. How do I deduct that?

CathiM

Since you can't enter into TurboTax that you both owned and rented, you will have to enter the lot rent as a Utility or Other Home Expense. I mentioned Utility because the rent may be considered for the hookup to the pad.

TurboTax will allocate it according to the square footage of the mobile home you entered.  If you want to allocate it differently, you will have to answer Yes to the question "Do you have expenses that apply only to the home office".  Then you can enter the amount of the rent you allocate to the home office.

CathiM