turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tztreadle

Mileage deduction for work- I am a Staffing employee without a regular place of employment. I am not compensated for mileage. can I deduct mileage?

all my jobs are temporary and can be anywhere from 10 miles away to a different state.  Can I deduct my mileage over 2% of my AGI?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Mileage deduction for work- I am a Staffing employee without a regular place of employment. I am not compensated for mileage. can I deduct mileage?

You can deduct the mileage if there was a location you needed to report to, such as the staffing employment office, before you drove to the work location.

In that example you can claim the mileage from the staffing office to the work place and back.

According to the IRS:

"You can deduct daily transportation expenses incurred going between your residence and a temporary work station outside the metropolitan area where you live....

...You can’t deduct daily transportation costs between your home and temporary work sites within your metropolitan area. These are nondeductible commuting expenses.

Generally, a metropolitan area includes the area within the city limits and the suburbs that are considered part of that metropolitan area.

If your employment at a work location is realistically expected to last (and does in fact last) for 1 year or less, the employment is temporary unless there are facts and circumstances that would indicate otherwise."

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p463/ch04.html

(edited 2-28-17)

Also see this FAQ answer for more information:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300445

tztreadle

The staffing company is in another state and I would never be going to the 'office' prior to going to the job. The job could be in a third state.   Does that still apply?
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

I found this: "However, if you travel to and from a temporary work location (where your assignment is expected to last no more than 1 year) outside your metropolitan area, you can claim commuting expenses." I hope that helps
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

I have included IRS verbiage above.
tztreadle

thank you.  I think that would apply, since all are temporary, but not if the job is within the area.
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Great! Remember to keep a log of your miles with your tax file.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies