Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tanzter
Returning Member

MFS led to "Someone can claim your spouse as a dependent" and no stimulus check. How do I fix this?

I filed as Married Filing Separately in 2018. This tax return was used to determine my Covid-19 stimulus eligibility.

Apparently, the MFS status led to the IRS recording on my return that "Someone can claim your spouse as a dependent" even though neither of us checked that box on our returns (I looked at both returns). Is this an error on their part, or is this normal? This has caused my whole family (me, spouse, child) to be ineligible for the first stimulus checks.

I called the IRS, and they said I have to try to claim a credit on my 2020 return. When I do that, will they be using. my 2018, 2019 or 2020 tax return to determine eligibility? And if the IRS still has on my 2018 records that "Someone can claim your spouse as a dependent", why would anything change when I try to claim the credit if they still use that return to determine eligibility? Do I need to try to amend my 2018 tax return first, even though we never checked this box to begin with?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

MFS led to "Someone can claim your spouse as a dependent" and no stimulus check. How do I fix this?

When you prepare your 2020 return CHECK IT VERY CAREFULLY  and make sure that box is not checked again.  As long as it is not checked you should be fine.  There is a part of your 2020 return where you can reconcile the problem if you did not receive the stimulus money.

The stimulus check is an advance on a credit you can receive on your 2020 tax return.  If something went wrong or you did not get the stimulus check this year, you can get it when you file your 2020 return in early 2021—if you are eligible.It will end up on line 30 of your 2020 Form 1040.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payment-information-center-topic-j-reconciling-on-your-...

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/coronavirus-tax-relief-and-economic-impact-payments-for-individuals-...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

just complete the 2020 tax return and answer all the TT questions; the stimulus credit will appear on line 30 of Form 1040.  

I take it while you got nothing, you believe you are due $2400 plus $500 for your child, right?  

no need to amend anything in the past. 

tanzter
Returning Member

Yes based on 2018 or 2019 tax returns, we qualified for the full stimulus. But if they use 2020's upcoming return to determine eligibility for the stimulus credit, we will not qualify because we had higher income in 2020. 

@tanzter - unfortunately, that is the way the law works.  The law always was based on your 2020 tax return, with the 2018 / 2019 tax returns used to determine an 'advance payment' since the 2020 tax return wasn't available last spring.   

When you complete your TT tax return, it will go through the calculations in any event to confirm how much, if any, stimulus you are due.  The same rules are going to apply for the 2nd stimulus and will also be based on 2020 income. 

JPP_1-31-97
Returning Member

I filed with TurboTax for 2020 MFS, the "Someone can claim your spouse as a dependent" box is automatically checked again this year.  How do we fix that?

If it won't let you just uncheck the box then you need to clear browser data.

Use the Chrome browser
Click the three dots in the upper right corner
Select Settings

Privacy and Security

Clear browser data for all time

Insert clear browser pic

Then sign in to TurboTax on the Chrome browser
Go to Personal Information - Review/Edit

Select No for Someone else can claim me as a dependent.

Any person who can be claimed as a dependent by another person is not eligible for the stimulus, even if the other person does not claim them.

JPP_1-31-97
Returning Member

I am unable to receive my stimulus because that box auto checked on my return using TurboTax.  I filed MFS.  

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

If the return is already filed, and if it gets accepted then you will need to amend the return.  I have not seen this experience with a box checked automatically.  The question is asked in the Personal or My Info section.

If your return is rejected for any reason you can fix it and resend immediately through e-file.

Here are the steps to uncheck the box once you file an amendment.  Do nothing until the amended return is ready for use which will be March 25th in TurboTax.  It's important that your return is fully processed by the IRS.  Form 1040X

1. Sign into your TurboTax return > Personal Info > Review > Edit next to your name > 
  2. Scroll to question 'Someone else can claim me as a dependent on their tax return.' > change your answer
  3. Federal Review tab at the top to enter your stimulus information.

[Edited: 02/22/2021 | 5:30a PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies