turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Medical Deduction when in foreign Country? Failure of Insurance Company to cover what was stated ! what expenses incurred are deductible? I was stranded in FRENCH pOLYNESIA MY HUSBAND was Hospitalizes before he was deemed fit enough to travel?

We were forced to evacuate a Cruise ship due to a medical emergency!  We had Travel insurance, however we were forced to pay extensive medical and other expenses up front!   I was forced to stay in a hotel and take a taxi back & forth to the hospital!  I took my meals at the hospital and the hotel!  We were not reimbursed for all of the medical Expenses that we were forced to pay up front!  we finally got some of our medical expenses for 2019 just 2 days ago.  but they only cover about 10% of my cost for Medical.  What deductions can I take?    Taxi?   Meals?  Lodging?  Other Expenses?  Costs of Luggage transport to me?  While in Polynesia? I really need Help?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Medical Deduction when in foreign Country? Failure of Insurance Company to cover what was stated ! what expenses incurred are deductible? I was stranded in FRENCH pOLYNESIA MY HUSBAND was Hospitalizes before he was deemed fit enough to travel?

You can deduct the cost of all medical care to the extent that you were not reimbursed, $50 per night for lodging (or actual expense if less) per person, and your travel (taxis, etc.) to and from the hotel to the medical facility.  

Your meals and luggage transportation expense will not be deductible, unfortunately as the IRS deems these to be personal expense.  Your husband's meals in the hospital are deductible, however (if they were billed separately.) 

I am so sorry this happened to you and I do hope that your husband has fully recovered!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Since I paid out of pocket in 2019 for both Medical and Cost of lodging and other expenses including Medical, Drugs, and Other Medically related Expenses,    and Since the Insurance Companies did not Reimburse me (and  was only a partial reimbursement)  until May2020,  Can I deduct all the costs of his Medical  and Drugs and my cost of Airfare back to the USA  as costs incurred in 2019?

If I paid for medical Expenses in 2019, and I did not get reimbursed until May 2020, can I assume that the expenses for 2019 are 2019 and  Expense reimbursements for 2020  are 2020 EXPENSE  COSTS!    And since I only received  a partial reimbursement that I will be able to show on my 2020 Tax return!

are Medical Bills and other Medical charges paid for in 2019 fully deductable !  if we were not reimbursed (only partially until May 2020!)  I need to know if I can take the Deductions for my husbands Medical Bills and fees that were paid out of pocket!  and be able to take the meager Check for Medical we received from the Insurance Co.  in 2020 when we finally receive their poultry check!  I really wnt to know what to do?

i need to know if Medical Expenses paid in  2019 are deductible.  It took a long time and much expense to even get the Insurance Companies to pay for anything! I finally received checks from them in May 2020 which  covered less tan 10% of what we were forced to pay out of pocket while we were stranded in French Polynesia while my Husband was in the Hospital  Is there any deductions that I can Deduct?   i.e Cost of Travel Insurance Policy,  They only paid 23.00 per day on Hotel bill and only for 1/2 days I was in Tahiti!  I was shorted on the airfare Cost to return to USA!  I was not paid for any meals !  If I can Deduct the charges I paid out of pocket in 2019  for my husbands care  and then deduct the reimbursements from the Insurance Companies, it would Help!  as my husband is still very ill with complications of our trip

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Medical expenses in excess of 7.5% of AGI are deductible as itemized deductions. You would only itemize if your total deductions exceed the standard deduction for your filing status. If you file jointly, your standard deduction is $24,400 in 2019.

Only medical expenses that are paid out of pocket are deductible. Here are some things to keep in mind:

• You must claim any expenses the year you paid for them. If you paid by credit card, claim the expense in the year you charged it to your card, not in the year you paid the charge off.
  • You must reduce your total medical expenses for the year by reimbursements from an insurance company or other agency, including Medicare. If the reimbursement is for services that are nondeductible, you must still claim the full amount of the reimbursement. If you pay for an expense this year and get reimbursed in a future year, the reimbursement is considered taxable income in the future year.
  • If you pay any medical expenses from a Health Savings Account (HSA), Medical Savings Account (MSA), or Flexible Spending Account (FSA), you can’t include these payments when figuring your deduction.
  • Make sure to keep any receipts from doctors and pharmacies, bank statements, and credit card statements showing where you paid for services, supplies, and any insurance premiums paid. 

You may claim 100% of medical expenses PAID in 2019, net any reimbursements in the same year. But any reimbursements received in 2020 must be included in gross income for tax year 2020.

You can include in medical expenses the cost of meals at a hospital or similar institution if a principal reason for being there is to get medical care. You can't include in medical expenses the cost of meals that aren't part of inpatient care.

You may be able to include in medical expenses the cost of lodging not provided in a hospital or similar institution. You can include the cost of such lodging while away from home if all of the following requirements are met.

1. The lodging is primarily for and essential to medical care.

2. The medical care is provided by a doctor in a licensed hospital or in a medical care facility related to, or the equivalent of, a licensed hospital.

3. The lodging isn't lavish or extravagant under the circumstances.

4. There is no significant element of personal pleasure, recreation, or vacation in the travel away from home.

The amount you include in medical expenses for lodging can't be more than $50 for each night for each person. You can include lodging for a person traveling with the person receiving the medical care. For example, if a parent is traveling with a sick child, up to $100 per night can be included as a medical expense for lodging. Meals aren't included.

Your additional travel expenses, such as airfare, are not deductible. Only transportation costs for the direct purpose of receiving the medical care are deductible. This would not apply in your case.

Qualified Medical Expenses

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies