shono

Meal Allowance. Can I write off the meal allowance per day I was traveling for business? I only have recipes for the more expensive meals from this trip.

LindaA

Yes, you can use the standard meal allowance instead of actual meal expenses for your qualified business meals. The standard meal allowance for 2016 is $51 per day for most small localities in the United States. For high cost areas, such as major cities, a  higher rate may apply. For more information, including record-keeping requirements, please see pages 5-6 and 25-29 of IRS Pub 463, Travel, Entertainment, Gift, and Car Expenses.

Note: The meal deduction is limited to 50% (80% if you are a transportation industry worker).