Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sg99
Level 1

Married filing separately mortgage interest

My spouse and I are MFS since this will be SIGNIFICANTLY reduce his loan payment under PSLF program. 

We own a home with Loan of $720,000 in community property state. How do we apply the "Limitation On Acquisition Indebtedness" ? I understand for MFS this is $375,000. 

Does that mean we are each responsible for 50% of the loan balance (360k) and are therefore able to can claim 50% of total mortgage interest that was paid 2019? 

Thanks! 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ReginaM
Expert Alumni

Yes, the Limitation on Acquisition is $375,000 for individuals filing Married Filing Separate.

Since you live in a community property state (Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington, or Wisconsin), you will want to divide the 1098 deductions 50/50.)  

Here is a link to IRS Publication 936, Home Mortgage Interest Deduction if you have further questions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ReginaM
Expert Alumni

Yes, the Limitation on Acquisition is $375,000 for individuals filing Married Filing Separate.

Since you live in a community property state (Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington, or Wisconsin), you will want to divide the 1098 deductions 50/50.)  

Here is a link to IRS Publication 936, Home Mortgage Interest Deduction if you have further questions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.

3.48m
Members

2.61m
Discussions

Manage cookies
v