Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Marketplace Insurance Advanced Premium Tax Credit

My husband and I are filing jointly. He is on Medicare with a Supplement, and works as an independent contractor, I do not work. My daughter and I have a Marketplace Insurance account. Can we claim the Advanced Premium Tax Credit? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

You are eligible for the premium tax credit if you meet all of the following requirements:

• Have household income that falls within a certain range (see question 7).
  • Do not file a Married Filing Separately tax return ((unless you qualify for a special rule that allows certain victims of domestic abuse and spousal abandonment to claim the premium tax credit using the Married Filing Separately filing status (see questions 9 and 10));
  • Cannot be claimed as a dependent by another person; and
  • In the same month, you, or a family member:
    • Enroll in coverage (excluding “catastrophic” coverage) through a Marketplace
    • Are not able to get affordable coverage through an eligible employer-sponsored plan that provides minimum value (see questions 11 and 12)
    • Are not eligible for coverage through a government program, like Medicaid, Medicare, CHIP or TRICARE
    • Pay the share of premiums not covered by advance credit payments"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

You are eligible for the premium tax credit if you meet all of the following requirements:

• Have household income that falls within a certain range (see question 7).
  • Do not file a Married Filing Separately tax return ((unless you qualify for a special rule that allows certain victims of domestic abuse and spousal abandonment to claim the premium tax credit using the Married Filing Separately filing status (see questions 9 and 10));
  • Cannot be claimed as a dependent by another person; and
  • In the same month, you, or a family member:
    • Enroll in coverage (excluding “catastrophic” coverage) through a Marketplace
    • Are not able to get affordable coverage through an eligible employer-sponsored plan that provides minimum value (see questions 11 and 12)
    • Are not eligible for coverage through a government program, like Medicaid, Medicare, CHIP or TRICARE
    • Pay the share of premiums not covered by advance credit payments"

Are the questions you're referring to within the TurboTax program, or on a form?

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

It is from the IRS. 

You are not eligible for the premium tax credit for coverage purchased outside the Marketplace. Answer the yes-or-no questions in our eligibility chart or use the “Am I Eligible to Claim the Premium Tax Credit” interview tool to see if you may qualify for the premium tax credit.

PTC

romeophe

Why am i not seeing the premium tax credit from the marketplace increase my refund

FangxiaL
Expert Alumni

If you qualify for more than you have already received, you should see an increase in your refund. How much have you received and how much do you qualify for?

@romeophe

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies