hellogoodbye1

Made a payment after tax year but before filing tax return - do I put it under estimated payment?

Hi - Have question that hope someone can help

I am late in filing return for tax year 2019. But I did make a payment of what I estimate the tax liability would be via irs2go around May 2020 to avoid penalty. (so just to be clear, this is not the typical estimated payment sent in with voucher)

It turns out I overpaid. In filing my return for 2019 now, do I now

1) include this as an estimated payment, and therefore my tax return would show a refund? Or

2) do I not include this, where my tax return would show a payment due, but because of payment in the IRS account already, the account would net positive and I'd be sent a refund? Or

3) does it not matter because the accounting is the same anyway?

GeorgeDenseff

Show as an estimated payment.

fanfare

duplicate post.

See answer in your other identical post.