turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TTH

Can we WAIT and claim our remaining Adoption Credit Carryforward next year or do we have to claim it in consecutive years, until it is exhausted?

Just a side note - last year was the only year we did NOT use the online TurboTax software. Instead, I bought and used a CD of it and nothing ported over. So, now I have discovered I made and error (in relation to the Adoption Credit Carryforward Worksheet) and will need to amend my 2016 return.  To not make things even more complicated, I'd prefer to leave the Credit Carryforward off of my 2017 return and either amend it later or just use the carryforward credit on my 2018 return, if that is allowed.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

Can we WAIT and claim our remaining Adoption Credit Carryforward next year or do we have to claim it in consecutive years, until it is exhausted?

Like virtually all credits, you must use them in consecutive years.  Since you won't know the carryover amount, wait to file 2017 until you have at least prepared the 2016 amended return.  You don't have to wait until the amended return is filed, you just need the carryover amount from preparing it.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Anita01

Like virtually all credits, you must use them in consecutive years.  Since you won't know the carryover amount, wait to file 2017 until you have at least prepared the 2016 amended return.  You don't have to wait until the amended return is filed, you just need the carryover amount from preparing it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies