shabnam42

Last year, I became a one third owner of the home I live in. I paid nothing for the house; no mortgage or property tax, etc Do I claim I own a home on my taxes this year?

One third of the home I live in was put in my name last year. I'm wondering if I need to claim that I am a home owner on my taxes this year if I didn't pay anything for/towards the house.

Fern

You do not have anything to claim on your tax return. If your 1/3 interest was a gift, any gift tax would be the responsibility of the person who gave you the 1/3 interest.

If you did not pay any mortgage interest or real estate taxes, you do not have a deduction for these items. You do not need to indicate that you are a homeowner.

Fern