turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Car Personal Property Taxes in Virginia

For others who might follow this thread, it turned out in my case that there was no problem at all with entering my car tax into the registration part of the software. It just didn't affect my total federal tax because I'm getting hit with the AMT. So in the end, I didn't need to enter my car registration taxes into the personal property section. I entered them right where they belong and TT did the right thing.

This issue is still present in 2018 version of TurboTax.  If you go to Personal Property, it doesn't specifically let users know that the Virginia Vehicle Personal Property Tax is deductible and that this is where you should enter it.  There also isn't a crosswalk from the Vehicle Registration fee area telling VA residents to go to the Personal Property section to enter the "Personal Property Tax" portion of their vehicle tax bill.  Poor guidance and instructions caused me to loose almost $200 tax savings per year 2005-2013.  I had to re-file for 2014-2016 when I learned this.  Frankly I think you owe me about $1900 for failing on your "Promise" especially since the guidance is still messed up.

No one on this site can handle refund requests. You must contact TurboTax directly: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number">https://ttlc.intuit.com...>
Use the word billing and not refund when setting up a call back.

Texas Roger, I would just appreciate TurboTax finally fixing this.  I've contacted TurboTax in prior years about honoring their Maximum Refund Guarantee on this topic and of course they point out the technicality that I would have had to have used another tax preparation method and gotten a larger refund--it didn't matter that this is "intuit-ively" obvious that they screwed up.

There are several things in the program that many of us have asked to be changed without much success.
CheriS
Intuit Alumni

Jump to car registration fees. Screenshot attached

"In Virginia, you can deduct the personal property tax based on the value of your vehicles that you paid to your city or town" comment is in the registration fee area.  Where does it tell me where to go to do so?  Do I enter it there in "Registration" or do I go to "Personal Property"?  In Registration, when I open "Learn More" (your screen shot), Virginia is not listed in the "Which states charge taxes based on vehicle value?".   When you go to personal property, vehicle personal property tax is not in the instructions or "Learn More".  Bottom line, TurboTax still gets a failing grade on the required guidance.

... and if your answer is we should go to personal property, it says "Don't include property (real estate) taxes or car registration fees."   How confusing is that?  Why not say "Viriginia vehicle property taxes are acceptable, but not the registration fee component".  Not rocket science.
badkitten

In the process of completing my 2019 taxes VA state/Federal  - I have always paid the "car tax" in VA and have NEVER paid in all my years of filing (I am now a senior citizen) - why does TURBO tax make it impossible for users to figure out such a simple tax deduction whether you can or cannot take by calling was it is, besides a ripoff, but Vehicle tax (based on weight with a "registration fee" of $38.00 (we still have to pay another registration fee with Department of Motor Vehicles ever year - Very Confusing and seems like TURBO tax has had more than enough relevant complaints about this filing problem

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies