turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My company put money into dependent care on my fsa account by mistake i did not pay anyone for child care but pulled the money out of the account. how do I enter this?

my mom watches my child and I did not pay her for child care. I pulled out the money so as not to lose it. should I claim the money as extra income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

My company put money into dependent care on my fsa account by mistake i did not pay anyone for child care but pulled the money out of the account. how do I enter this?

You still must prepare the Child Dependent Care Screen.  When you report that you paid $0 for your child care, the money you received from your employer will be included as wage income (like your box 1 amount is).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You still must prepare the Child Dependent Care Screen.  When you report that you paid $0 for your child care, the money you received from your employer will be included as wage income (like your box 1 amount is).

it is asking me for the social security number of the person who provided the care, do I just leave that blank?
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You'll have to, unless your mom is willing to let you put her information there.  It won't hurt anything since you will not be claiming any child care you actually paid to her.  If in a worst-case scenario you get a diagnostic error for a zero, then change the amount to $1.  

thanks, I did end up having to put her info in. it wouldn't let me e-file without it but I did change the amount to $1
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It will get it through the system.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies