turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jakkbam

I sold property last year, but I believe it is not subject to tax. Do I still need to purchase Turbo Tax Premier for this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

I sold property last year, but I believe it is not subject to tax. Do I still need to purchase Turbo Tax Premier for this?

Do I still need to purchase Turbo Tax Premier for this?

Only if you need to report the sale.  (Most times, you don't need to report it.)

For the sale of a residence, up to $250,000 ($500,000 on a joint return where you both lived in the residence) of gain can be excluded from income if you lived in and owned the house for two of the last five years. (You may have a smaller exclusion if the property was used as a rental during the five year period, and you may have income from recapture of depreciation if you claimed an office in the home deduction for the home.)

If you work through the interview on sale of a residence, TurboTax will compute the exclusion. Look under the wages and income tab for less common income, then sale of home.

I would only report the sale if:

• The gain exceeds the amounts that are exempt from tax, or
  • You received a Form 1099-S from the closing agent.

A closing agent can get an affidavit or statement from you that the sale meets the requirements for exclusion and, if so, not send a Form 1099-S reporting the sale. If the gain is fully excludible and you don't get a Form 1099-S, there is no reason to report the sale on your tax return. If you do need to report it, use the following sequence:

• Federal Taxes, then
  • Wages and income, then
  • Choose what to work on, then
  • Choose less common income, then
  • Home Sale

View solution in original post

3 Replies
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

If not your personal residence, why do you feel the sale is not subject to tax?
jakkbam

It was my personal residence for 6 years
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

Do I still need to purchase Turbo Tax Premier for this?

Only if you need to report the sale.  (Most times, you don't need to report it.)

For the sale of a residence, up to $250,000 ($500,000 on a joint return where you both lived in the residence) of gain can be excluded from income if you lived in and owned the house for two of the last five years. (You may have a smaller exclusion if the property was used as a rental during the five year period, and you may have income from recapture of depreciation if you claimed an office in the home deduction for the home.)

If you work through the interview on sale of a residence, TurboTax will compute the exclusion. Look under the wages and income tab for less common income, then sale of home.

I would only report the sale if:

• The gain exceeds the amounts that are exempt from tax, or
  • You received a Form 1099-S from the closing agent.

A closing agent can get an affidavit or statement from you that the sale meets the requirements for exclusion and, if so, not send a Form 1099-S reporting the sale. If the gain is fully excludible and you don't get a Form 1099-S, there is no reason to report the sale on your tax return. If you do need to report it, use the following sequence:

• Federal Taxes, then
  • Wages and income, then
  • Choose what to work on, then
  • Choose less common income, then
  • Home Sale

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies