turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dust8806

We started adopting in 2016. All of the fees were paid in 2016 and we had eligible travel expenses and it finalized in 2017. Do I put 2016 expenses in the carryforward?

Turbo tax is reporting a larger refund then the $13k that is allowed and I am not sure if this is correct.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

We started adopting in 2016. All of the fees were paid in 2016 and we had eligible travel expenses and it finalized in 2017. Do I put 2016 expenses in the carryforward?

If your income was $203,540 the maximum credit for 2017 is $13570 per child.  Because the adoption was finalized in 2017, you want to enter the 2016 and 2017 expenses this year and then carry forward any excess.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If your income was $203,540 the maximum credit for 2017 is $13570 per child.  Because the adoption was finalized in 2017, you want to enter the 2016 and 2017 expenses this year and then carry forward any excess.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dust88061

It was just confusing because it said only enter eligible expenses paid this year and then after said to put any expenses from 2016 that are carry forward, but I didn't have a carry forward filed. With the taxes I paid I get the full 13570 back this year. So that means I can't claim any more correct?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies