jenniburrow

It says that the child tax credit is $2000 this year. Why am I getting just over $1000 total for the credit when I have 3 children?

Vanessa

Not everyone is eligible for the full Child Tax Credit or the full Additional Child Tax Credit.  

If you look at line 11 of your 1040, your total Child Tax Credit cannot exceed that number.  So, if your tax liability is only $1,000, that is the maximum Child Tax Credit you will be eligible for.  If it would have been zero, then you would not get any child tax credit.  This is a non-refundable Credits and will only reduce your tax liability to zero. The Child Tax Credit is shown on line 12a of your 1040. 

The Additional Child Tax Credit is refundable if you qualify for it. The refundable portion is approximately 15% of your Earned income along with a few other calculations. If you did receive it, you will find it on line 17 of your 1040. 

To see your 1040 click Tools>>.Tax Tools>>>View Tax Summary>>>Preview My 1040. 

Vanessa