mmkasey

It's asking if my husband's HDHP coverage lapsed in 2017 due to disability, but my husband's HDHP coverage didn't lapse for any reason. How do I correct this?

AnnetteB

The question on the page before you see that there was a “lapse” in coverage is causing the issue.

On the previous page you should see the question, “What type of High Deductible Health Plan did [spouse] have on December 1, 2016?”.  The choices are Family, Self only, or None

If the spouse had been covered under the taxpayer's family plan, you might think you should answer Family to the question.  However, the answer should be None

It is referring to what type of plan the spouse held in their name on December 1, 2016.  If the spouse had their own separate HDHP on that date, then choose the type of plan that the spouse had.  If instead the spouse was covered under the plan in the taxpayer's name, then you should choose None.

To go back to the section of your return to answer the questions again, use the following steps:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “hsa” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to hsa
  • Click on the blue “Jump to hsa” link and edit your information

AnnetteB