turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

On my 1040 Schedule E form for my 2018 taxes, my two investment properties both had a loss and the loss is displayed on line 21 however line 22 is 0. Why?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CynthiaR

On my 1040 Schedule E form for my 2018 taxes, my two investment properties both had a loss and the loss is displayed on line 21 however line 22 is 0. Why?

It looks likeyour investment properties are listed as "passive" properties.   Losses on a rental that are passive are not deductible.   If you materially participate in the activities of these investment properties then you can change the category from passive to non-passive.   By changing it you'll see the losses on line 22.  Renta losses are deductible up to $25,000.

Here is some information on this:

Rental activities are considered "passive" activities, and a loss on a passive activity is not deductible against non-passive income, such as wages. A special rule lets you deduct up to $25,000 of losses from rental real estate in which you actively participate. The $25,000 deduction is phased out when your modified adjusted gross income is from $100,000 to $150,000, resulting in no deduction above $150,000 (for a married filing joint return). See IRS Publication 925 for additional information.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
CynthiaR

It looks likeyour investment properties are listed as "passive" properties.   Losses on a rental that are passive are not deductible.   If you materially participate in the activities of these investment properties then you can change the category from passive to non-passive.   By changing it you'll see the losses on line 22.  Renta losses are deductible up to $25,000.

Here is some information on this:

Rental activities are considered "passive" activities, and a loss on a passive activity is not deductible against non-passive income, such as wages. A special rule lets you deduct up to $25,000 of losses from rental real estate in which you actively participate. The $25,000 deduction is phased out when your modified adjusted gross income is from $100,000 to $150,000, resulting in no deduction above $150,000 (for a married filing joint return). See IRS Publication 925 for additional information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies