turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

doschris

How do we determine estimated tax payments to the state of NC if we will only be part-time residents in 2017? We will sell our home in NC on May 10

How do we determine North Carolina estimated tax payments of we will be part time residents in 2017?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

How do we determine estimated tax payments to the state of NC if we will only be part-time residents in 2017? We will sell our home in NC on May 10

It depends.  Since you have an idea on home much income you will earn in that period, you can calculate out the full amount of what you need for the year, and pay only the first two installments.  This will cover you from having to worry about a penalty.  It may even be a slight overpayment, but then you will receive a refund for the excess.  Then you can make the two estimated payments to the new state if you continue your work there (and if they have a state tax).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends.  Since you have an idea on home much income you will earn in that period, you can calculate out the full amount of what you need for the year, and pay only the first two installments.  This will cover you from having to worry about a penalty.  It may even be a slight overpayment, but then you will receive a refund for the excess.  Then you can make the two estimated payments to the new state if you continue your work there (and if they have a state tax).

doschris

Prior to seeing your answer to my question, I estimated my 2017 NC tax liability and printed out four vouchers, each for 1/4 of the total. I wasn't sure if I could make any less than four payments. I guess I'll have to do something similar for New Mexico, the state to which we are moving. It has a state income tax as well. Any tips for that?

Thanks.
doschris

I read your answer after I calculated my anticipated 2017 NC tax liability and printed out four vouchers, each for 1/4 of my anticipated tax liability. I didn't think I could just make two payments. At least each check will be for a more affordable amount. I guess I'll have to do the same for NM, the state to which we are relocating. It has a state income tax as well. Any tips on how to handle that? Thanks for the reply.
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

That's fine also.  I'm trying to help you not overpay, but worse is to underpay.   New Mexico you may do something similar.  If you haven't yet set the return, you could put in NM into TurboTax as if you are living there now to get an idea as to how much tax you would pay there, and then delete the state. Otherwise, here is the NM website:  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.tax.newmexico.gov/">http://www.tax.newmexico.gov/</a> , where you should be able to look up their tax tables.  I've been away for a couple of days, so I'm sorry I didn't get back sooner.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies