turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in my dads home

will it affect me if i live in my dads house with my children?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I live in my dads home

It depends.  If he can claim you as a dependent, then you will not be able to claim your children as dependents.  There are two possible ways that your father could claim you, as a Qualifying Child or as a Qualifying Relatvie:  Here are links to IRS websites on each:  Qualifying Child and Qualifying Relative

In general, your Father cannot claim you as a qualifying child if you are:

1. 19 or older, and were not a student for at least 5 months of the year,
  2. 24 or older, even though you were a student,
  3. lived in the house for less than 6 months, or 
  4. provided at least half of your own support

He cannot claim you as a qualifying relative if:

1. You had more than $4050 in reportable income last year (not including Social Securty), or
  2. He did not provide at least half of your support.

If he does not qualify to claim you on either of these tests, the only effect you might have on your return is that you might not be able to claim Head of Household.  You would not be able to claim Head of Household if you are not providing at least 50% of the household support.  But you would not lose any benefits for claiming your children, including earned income credit and the child tax credit.

However, it is always possible that he may try to claim you and your children.  If your return is rejected electronically because of this, you would have to mail in your return.  As long as you can prove that you are not your father's dependent, you will automatically win the claim on your children because they are your children.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I live in my dads home

It depends.  If he can claim you as a dependent, then you will not be able to claim your children as dependents.  There are two possible ways that your father could claim you, as a Qualifying Child or as a Qualifying Relatvie:  Here are links to IRS websites on each:  Qualifying Child and Qualifying Relative

In general, your Father cannot claim you as a qualifying child if you are:

1. 19 or older, and were not a student for at least 5 months of the year,
  2. 24 or older, even though you were a student,
  3. lived in the house for less than 6 months, or 
  4. provided at least half of your own support

He cannot claim you as a qualifying relative if:

1. You had more than $4050 in reportable income last year (not including Social Securty), or
  2. He did not provide at least half of your support.

If he does not qualify to claim you on either of these tests, the only effect you might have on your return is that you might not be able to claim Head of Household.  You would not be able to claim Head of Household if you are not providing at least 50% of the household support.  But you would not lose any benefits for claiming your children, including earned income credit and the child tax credit.

However, it is always possible that he may try to claim you and your children.  If your return is rejected electronically because of this, you would have to mail in your return.  As long as you can prove that you are not your father's dependent, you will automatically win the claim on your children because they are your children.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies