turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cekanem

Since I am a student with a foreign bank account and the amount is below the threshold to give information to the IRS can I bypass the turbotax upgrade?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

Since I am a student with a foreign bank account and the amount is below the threshold to give information to the IRS can I bypass the turbotax upgrade?

It depends -

Even though your foreign bank account may be below the threshold for filing an FBAR , the IRS does require you to select "yes" to the question regarding if you have any type of foreign financial account. This information is actually reported to the IRS (on the bottom section of Schedule B) and can carry severe penalties if not reported.

So if you have a foreign financial account and you need to include a Schedule B with your filing (even if it only has the foreign  financial questions on the bottom of the schedule marked) and if this requires an upgrade, it is better to play it safe and do the upgrade.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DS30

It depends -

Even though your foreign bank account may be below the threshold for filing an FBAR , the IRS does require you to select "yes" to the question regarding if you have any type of foreign financial account. This information is actually reported to the IRS (on the bottom section of Schedule B) and can carry severe penalties if not reported.

So if you have a foreign financial account and you need to include a Schedule B with your filing (even if it only has the foreign  financial questions on the bottom of the schedule marked) and if this requires an upgrade, it is better to play it safe and do the upgrade.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies