If you entered donations in the deductions & credits tab and then did not itemize then look at the 1040 line 10b.
You can peek at only the Federal form 1040 and the summary of the state info by going here:
1) lower- Left side of the screen...click to the left side of the "Tax Tools" text selection.
2) then select "Tools"
3) then select "View Tax Summary" from the pop-up
4) then back to the left-side and "Preview 1040"
Then hit the "Back" on the left side to get back to your tax entries.
To view your entire return using the online editions (including the state) before you file, you will need to pay for your online account.
To pay the TurboTax online account fees by credit card, without completing the 2019 return at this time, click on Tax Tools >>> Tools and then Print Center. Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return. On the next page, to pay by credit card, click Continue. On the next screen it will ask if you want Audit Defense, if you do not want this option just click on the Continue button. The next screen will ask for all your credit card information so you can pay for the account.
My Form 1040Work sheet shows a higher than $300 amount in Block 10A, however Turbo Tax software leaves a blank in Blocks 10B and 10C . Does not automatically fill in those blocks on 1040WS or on my Form1040.
The $300 deduction is added to the standard deduction if you are taking the standard deduction. It appears in Box 10b.
If you are itemizing deductions, a charity amount will show in Box 10a But that will not be added to itemized deductions. It is only aded to the standard deduction. If you are talomg standard deduction and Box 10b is empty, go through these steps.
- Click Deductions and Credits
- Go through the screens until you come to Wrap Up Tax Breaks
If the standard deduction is chosen you will see a screen that asks Any Charitable Contibutions?
- Make sure that $300 or correct amount is filled in and then click Continue
- Click Lets Keep Going
Turbo Tax did not let me itemize deductions (although it did say I should itemize deductions) It proceeded to use the standard deduction. It only deducted 300 dollars for charitable contributions, and now I understand that I should have been able to use my larger amount of charitable contributions. I have already filed my taxes. How can I fix this and why did Turbo Tax not explain and make this situation clear?
The easy part first. You will need to amend your 2020 return:
- Sign in to TurboTax.
- Scroll down to under Your tax returns & documents, select Amend (change) 2020 return,
- Start amending my 2020 return. Then, select the reason you’re amending and follow the onscreen instructions.
- Go to federal>deductions and credits>Charitable donations>show more
- Donations to charity>start
- Note: Charitable donation are itemized deductions. If you do not have enough to itemize and your standard deduction is greater than your itemized deduction, you may be better off filing standard deduction and taking that $300 deduction for charitable contributions.
- If you are adamant about changing your filing status, you can choose to do this. Go to your deduction and credit section and scroll though the questions until you see a screen like i have included below and you can change your deduction. Make sure you check both those checkmarks on the screen. Why you wish to do this though is a question that only you can answer.
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"