turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is TT 2019 calculating Premium Tax credit (PTC) on form 8962 correctly?

On forms 1095-A I received from the IRS, under column B (SLCSP), they put down $1,150.36  for those 3 months that I claimed advanced premium tax credit and $0 for the other 9 months that I did not. Based on our income (under 400% FPL), I am expecting to receive a few thousands premium tax credit back for the year. However, TT calculates that to be $26, which doesn't make sense at all. I suspect it's those $0 months under column B that throws it off.

So I tested by entering the same $1,150.36 in all 12 months (we have not changed health plans so that SLCSP amount should be the same every month), then TT gives me the amount of PTC that I am expecting. So what to do? Is it an error from IRS? Or TT needs to revise their form 8962?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

For all months with a 0 (zero) in the columns, leave those columns blank (empty)

Thank you. I took out all those $0 months and TT flagged "Please enter an amount" and cannot continue unless I enter something in those boxes under column B.

But I think we can mark this as 'solved'.  I called up the Marketplace 1095-A helpline (this is NY) and the rep told me I should go by what is on the 'chart' (one of the attached sheet that came with the 1095-A that has a chart of SLCSP) for those months that has $0 under column B (note: I didn't not change plan or residence all year last year, so maybe different for those who did).  I asked her if they can reissue me another form 1095-A that has the column B filled out correctly, but she said no because the original form was not 'incorrect'. So there.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies