• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
palmbeach24

Is paid volunteerism (I paid to volunteer) tax deductible?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Opus 17
Level 15

Solved in comments.

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Opus 17
Level 15

You can never deduct the value of your time, paid or unpaid.  And if you receive money for performing a service, it's probably taxable income, even if you are a "paid volunteer", whatever that means.

Can you explain your situation more?
*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
palmbeach24

Thank you for your speedy response! I Paid an NGO money to volunteer for a social enterprise overseas. Part of that money went to accommodation, part of it went to the NGO and also part of it went to the social enterprise I volunteered for. Does that help? I understand that I can't deduct the value of my time, but can I deduct the money I paid that went to the volunteer organization?
Opus 17
Level 15

Potentially, but the next problem is that you can only deduct charitable contributions to US charities that are registered as exempt with the IRS.  Many charities have US branches, you can look up your NGO here.  Try to find a US address for them.  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/exempt-organizations-select-check">https://www.irs.gov/cha...>
palmbeach24

Thank you very much! It's an NGO registered in the UK, and I looks like not. Thank you for your help!
Opus 17
Level 15

Solved in comments.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v