turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

IRS Form 5695

It may be awhile before the 2018 tax program is updated to include the retroactive tax extender provisions.

TurboTax prioritizes the current tax year over updating last year's program. At this time, no release date has been announced for updating the 2018 tax program. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

IRS Form 5695

I incurred energy expenses for furnaces, hot water tank, etc. in 2018.  When doing 2018 taxes, Turbo Tax did not generate a 5695 because legislation was not approved. so on my 2019 return, I could not list the amount of energy expenses as a carryover from a 2018 5695.  I tried doing an amended 2018 return.  When I enter the energy expenses, it says my credit is zero.  However, if I try it in the 2019 software, my credit is $450.00.  I don't think it is proper to enter a 2018 expense in 2019 return unless I had a carryover from 2018 that was actually on a 2018 5695 form.  What should I do?  

Anonymous
Not applicable

IRS Form 5695

Hey Shhirley,

I have the same issue. The IRS released a new 2018 5695 form a month or 2 ago. TT has not updated the 2018 program to help people like us who must now file a 1040X and amended 5695 for 2018. I still have not filed and will probably have to pay a tax service since TT has given no help. I don't trust myself to complete the 2018 forms myself and mail in. I will be second thinking continuing to buy TT next year since I always thought I had resources available if I needed them these past 20 years.

IRS Form 5695

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey Shhirley,

I have the same issue. The IRS released a new 2018 5695 form a month or 2 ago. TT has not updated the 2018 program to help people like us who must now file a 1040X and amended 5695 for 2018. I still have not filed and will probably have to pay a tax service since TT has given no help. I don't trust myself to complete the 2018 forms myself and mail in. I will be second thinking continuing to buy TT next year since I always thought I had resources available if I needed them these past 20 years.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the 2018 software and the Tax Extenders for 2018 - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/2018-extenders-passed-under-taxpayer-certainty-and-disaster-tax-relief-act-of-2019/00/1197091

IRS Form 5695

Thank you for your response.  At least I know I am not alone and doing something incorrectly.  I guess we all have to wait for TurboTax to assist us.  It's too bad it is taking so long. I am very frustrated with this.

IRS Form 5695

Thank you for responding.  Hopefully this will be resolved soon.  It can really hurt the consumer when TurboTax is not on top of updates.  I appreciate your input.

Anonymous
Not applicable

IRS Form 5695

Great News! TurboTax updated 2018 to include the updated 5695. I have just printed my updated 2018 1040X. I hope to mail today.

Thank you TurboTax for coming through!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies