turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jw1284
Returning Member

Interest Deduction limiting both loans in 2020. Issue with average loan balance and with amount for personal use in Interest Worksheet.

I had two different loans during 2020 and believe Turbo Tax is incorrectly assuming both loans exceeded the $750,000 limitation when one of them was under the threshold.  This is reducing the deductibility of the smaller loan.

During the first half of the year, I was living in a residence (property A) with a mortgage of $580,000.  I then moved out and converted the residence to a rental on July 1, 2020.  The 1098-INT shows a total of $21,000 interest paid for this loan for the entire year which I believe 50%, or $10,500, can be deducted as Schedule A Interest and the remaining $10,500 is presented through Schedule E.  Note that this loan does not exceed the $750,000 TCJA limitation.

On July 1, 2020, I purchased another home as my primary residence (property B) after renting out the first home.  The second home was purchased with a mortgage of $1,600,000 which I paid $27,000 of interest as shown on the 1098-INT during 2020.  Based on the $750,000 limitation, I believe only 46.875% [$750,000 / $1,600,000] of the interest can be deducted as Schedule A Interest, or $12,656.

What I’m noticing in Turbo Tax is that the Home Mortgage Interest Worksheet assumes all interest paid for both loans are subject to the $750,000 limitation because property B’s loans is $1,600,000.  The software is taking the sum of all interest and multiplying by the 46.875% factor although I believe the portion of my first loan which was incurred during my residency should be completely deductible.

I have two questions:

• How can I tell Turbo Tax to only reduce interest on the larger loan on property B so I can fully deduct the $10,500 for property A?
  • Turbo Tax correctly allocated the amount for personal use on Schedule E although I do not see the amount populated in the interest worksheet for Schedule A purposes and rather, the full amount of $21,000.  This effectively duplicates the interest.  How can I get Turbo Tax to only apply $10,500 for the worksheet rather than the full amount of $21,000 from property A’s loan?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies