Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

geeem

Can I add multiple sources of passive foreign taxes from one country in one entry on form 1116 or should I enter them one at a time?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GeoffreyG

Can I add multiple sources of passive foreign taxes from one country in one entry on form 1116 or should I enter them one at a time?

In order to claim a foreign tax credit, in TurboTax, and via IRS Form 1116, you do need to specify some country (or countries) as the source of your foreign taxes paid / accrued.

However, the country selection "Various" is available in the drop-down country menu, as is the three-letter acronym "RIC" which stands for "Regulated Investment Company" (which is basically another term, or pseudonym, for a mutual fund or funds).  Thus, you could use either "Various" or "RIC" as your choice to resolve the issue of multiple sources of passive foreign income.

It would also be acceptable to combined the passive income from several different sources (brokerage accounts, for example) into a single entry from a specific country.  For example, you could add together brokerage accounts A, B, and C, all reporting passive income from the United Kingdom, into a single entry.

The only thing here to be especially mindful of is mixing different kinds of foreign income taxes paid.  For example, and sticking with the United Kingdom simply for sake of example, it would never be proper to mix foreign taxes paid from passive sources and active (e.g. wage) sources, even if they are from the same "foreign" country (U.K.).

Thank you for asking this question.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
GeoffreyG

In order to claim a foreign tax credit, in TurboTax, and via IRS Form 1116, you do need to specify some country (or countries) as the source of your foreign taxes paid / accrued.

However, the country selection "Various" is available in the drop-down country menu, as is the three-letter acronym "RIC" which stands for "Regulated Investment Company" (which is basically another term, or pseudonym, for a mutual fund or funds).  Thus, you could use either "Various" or "RIC" as your choice to resolve the issue of multiple sources of passive foreign income.

It would also be acceptable to combined the passive income from several different sources (brokerage accounts, for example) into a single entry from a specific country.  For example, you could add together brokerage accounts A, B, and C, all reporting passive income from the United Kingdom, into a single entry.

The only thing here to be especially mindful of is mixing different kinds of foreign income taxes paid.  For example, and sticking with the United Kingdom simply for sake of example, it would never be proper to mix foreign taxes paid from passive sources and active (e.g. wage) sources, even if they are from the same "foreign" country (U.K.).

Thank you for asking this question.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies