turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In 2016 I paid cash for property and a house, therefore I pay my house insurance individually monthly and pay my property taxes yearly. Where do I put this information

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JulieM

In 2016 I paid cash for property and a house, therefore I pay my house insurance individually monthly and pay my property taxes yearly. Where do I put this information

You will deduct property tax in the year that you actually pay it regardless of what year it is for. You claim your 2016 tax that you paid in 2017 on your 2017 tax return when you prepare it in 2018.

Any documentation that shows that you paid property tax is fine. It may include your closing document, your mortgage statement, Form 1098 or your county's office statement or receipt.  As long as the property tax is paid in 2016, you can deduct it. 

Here is data entry for property tax/real estate tax on home:

1. Federal Taxes
  2. Deductions and Credits
  3. Your Home
  4. Property Taxes

OR

Go to Federal, Deductions and Credits, click "I'll choose what I work on" then go to Your Home.  Right under mortgage interest you will find Property Taxes.

Home owners insurance for your personal residence is not deductible, sorry.

** Please let us know if you have anymore questions, we will do our best to assist you.**

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies