Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a 2700 sf shop that is free standing, and used solely for my business. Our home is only 1400sf. What percent of my home do I claim?

Do I add the 2 together for 4100 and claim 65%? or is there a different way to calculate this? Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

I have a 2700 sf shop that is free standing, and used solely for my business. Our home is only 1400sf. What percent of my home do I claim?

If your shop and your house are considered to be a single property if you were to sell and they were both purchased together, then you should combine the square footage and take the 2700 square feet as business property since it is 100% used for business. 

If the shop was built separately at a later time, then you should only consider the cost of building the shop as an asset that is depreciated for your business.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

If your shop and your house are considered to be a single property if you were to sell and they were both purchased together, then you should combine the square footage and take the 2700 square feet as business property since it is 100% used for business. 

If the shop was built separately at a later time, then you should only consider the cost of building the shop as an asset that is depreciated for your business.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies