turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dvsdad99

Can i make a contribution to my hsa to lower my 2018 tax liability? If so, where do I do that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can i make a contribution to my hsa to lower my 2018 tax liability? If so, where do I do that?

If

• you were under HDHP coverage (High Deductible Health Insurance) in 2018 and
  • you did not have conflicting coverage (like regular employer-sponsored health insurance or Medicare) and
  • you have room left under your annual HSA contribution limit for 2018 (i.e., if your limit was $3,450, that you haven't contributed that full amount yet)

then you can contribute now (until April 15th) an amount for your HSA in 2018. To do this:

• if you don't have an HSA yet, ask the HSA custodian to create one for you
  • send the HSA custodian the contribution, making it clear that the contribution is for 2018 (because, by default, the custodian would make it for 2019)
  • ensure that whatever contributions you made in 2018 plus this new contribution do not exceed the annual HSA contribution limit for 2018
  • enter the HSA interview (do a Search for hsa (lower case) and jump to it), and on the screen where it says "Let's enter [name]'s HSA contributions" (see screenshot below), enter your new 2018 contribution in the second line as a "personal" contribution.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If

• you were under HDHP coverage (High Deductible Health Insurance) in 2018 and
  • you did not have conflicting coverage (like regular employer-sponsored health insurance or Medicare) and
  • you have room left under your annual HSA contribution limit for 2018 (i.e., if your limit was $3,450, that you haven't contributed that full amount yet)

then you can contribute now (until April 15th) an amount for your HSA in 2018. To do this:

• if you don't have an HSA yet, ask the HSA custodian to create one for you
  • send the HSA custodian the contribution, making it clear that the contribution is for 2018 (because, by default, the custodian would make it for 2019)
  • ensure that whatever contributions you made in 2018 plus this new contribution do not exceed the annual HSA contribution limit for 2018
  • enter the HSA interview (do a Search for hsa (lower case) and jump to it), and on the screen where it says "Let's enter [name]'s HSA contributions" (see screenshot below), enter your new 2018 contribution in the second line as a "personal" contribution.

Can you post a screenshot of where to enter this in TurboTax Home & Business.  Thanks.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies