Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is seller financed interest on personal property sold at a loss deductable

I sold some vacant land that we owned for 9 years on which we intended to build a house. I sold the property for a loss and provided owner financing for the buyer. Do I still have to claim the interest  as income (I received a 1099-INT from the payment servicing company) even though we sold at a substantial loss? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you sold investment property at a loss, then you may have had a long-term capital loss, which would be reported on schedule D. Depending on the amount of the loss and any other schedule the capital gains or capital losses, you may have deducted that loss in the year you sold the property or you may have a carryover deduction for future years.  If you did not report a capital loss for the year that you sold the property you should go back and review your tax returns for that year.

Separately, the interest on the seller financed loan is taxable, no matter how much the loan is for and no matter what the selling price of the property was. That interest is simply taxable income.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Do I still have to claim the interest  as income?
YES

You may have sold for a loss, but you're earning interest on loan, that needs to be reported as income.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

If you sold investment property at a loss, then you may have had a long-term capital loss, which would be reported on schedule D. Depending on the amount of the loss and any other schedule the capital gains or capital losses, you may have deducted that loss in the year you sold the property or you may have a carryover deduction for future years.  If you did not report a capital loss for the year that you sold the property you should go back and review your tax returns for that year.

Separately, the interest on the seller financed loan is taxable, no matter how much the loan is for and no matter what the selling price of the property was. That interest is simply taxable income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies