Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ckilley58

We had a new roof put on our house last year What part of the $12,000 can we claim

We had a new roof put on our home in 2016.  What portion of the $12,000.00 should I use where it asks me to input the info

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

We had a new roof put on our house last year What part of the $12,000 can we claim

If you installed an ENERGY STAR certified roof, you can take a tax credit using Form 5695 - Residential Energy Credits. Metal roofs with appropriate pigmented coatings" and "asphalt roofs with appropriate cooling granules" that also meet ENERGY STAR requirements are eligible.  You must have a  Manufacturer's Certification Statement to take the credit.  If you are not eligible to take the credit, there is nothing to enter for your new roof.  It will increase your basis in the house and will reduce any gain you have when you sell you house.

[Edited 03-09-2020]   Can I claim energy-efficient appliances or energy-saving home improvements? 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DDollar
Expert Alumni

If you installed an ENERGY STAR certified roof, you can take a tax credit using Form 5695 - Residential Energy Credits. Metal roofs with appropriate pigmented coatings" and "asphalt roofs with appropriate cooling granules" that also meet ENERGY STAR requirements are eligible.  You must have a  Manufacturer's Certification Statement to take the credit.  If you are not eligible to take the credit, there is nothing to enter for your new roof.  It will increase your basis in the house and will reduce any gain you have when you sell you house.

[Edited 03-09-2020]   Can I claim energy-efficient appliances or energy-saving home improvements? 

The roof was gutted completely and rebuilt. Replaced with GAF Strom Guard, with two courses of ice and water barrier, Blue Palisade Synthetic as an underlayment and a 30 year Architect Fiberglass shingles.

It must meet ENERGY STAR requirements to be  eligible.  You must have a  Manufacturer's Certification Statement to take the credit so review the paperwork you have for that certification. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies