Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Selling property in Mexico purchased in my IRA. I will pay MX tax. How do I deduct that on my taxes while in my SEP-IRA ? Do I pay tax twice on these funds?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Selling property in Mexico purchased in my IRA. I will pay MX tax. How do I deduct that on my taxes while in my SEP-IRA ? Do I pay tax twice on these funds?

If you have a self-directed IRA, you REALLY, REALLY need to be consulting with a professional that deals with self-directed IRAs.

If you haven’t started making withdrawals on your IRA, you can’t take a deduction for foreign taxes paid, as you aren’t paying tax on any IRA income.  On the upside, the foreign taxes reduce your account’s earned income. Why is that a plus? Once you begin making withdrawals and are subject to US tax, you are taxed only on the net amount.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies