turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mohammed

I am student with F1 visa. I am in US since August 2013. I considered as resident alien for tax purposes. I do not have income from US. I don't have SSN or ITIN.

I am student with F1 visa. I overstay my F1 visa. But, I have I-20 until I graduate on next may. I am in US since August 2013. During that period, I left the country for 10 days during that period. 

From IRS website, It seems that I considered as resident alien for tax purposes. Base on that, I have to file 1040 form. But, I do not have income form US. Also, I don't have SSN or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).

Which forms should I file ? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

I am student with F1 visa. I am in US since August 2013. I considered as resident alien for tax purposes. I do not have income from US. I don't have SSN or ITIN.

if you do not have income from the USA, why are you filing?  which country are you from?  Have  you used the treaty conditions before or is this your first filing because you may be a resident for tax purposes ?

Insha Alla, we will be able to help you

mohammed

Hi,

I really appreciate your help. I am a Saudi Arabian citizen. Based on the IRS website, I am consider as alien for tax purposes. For the first half of 2018, I had scholarship. While for second half, I paid on my own. I have been told by international office that I have to file tax return for that reason.

I did not use treaty conditions before. It is my first filing. For the past 5 years, I used sprintax Serves. The sprintax stated that I have to complete the filling using TurboTax as I am a resident for tax purposes. I don't have SSN or ITIN. I am a bit confuse regarded procedure and forms that I am require to fill.

Thanks
pk
Level 15
Level 15

for 2018, you are indeed a Resident Alien for Tax purposes and because there is no tax treaty between US and Saudi Arabia ( No income tax in SA ), you are pretty much like any other student in the USA.  You will need a tax id to file the return. You will not have to pay the FICA taxes ( Social Security & Medicare ) because you are on F-1.  So you have to prepare your return using TubroTax -- use a dummy SSN like 99-998-8000  to satisfy the software. PRINT the return, sign and date, snopake out the dummy SSN entered and hand  write "NRA".  Now download the W-7 form and instructions from the <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.irs.gov">www.irs.gov</a> site, fill it out, include copies of all the documents it asks for. sign and date as required.  Mail the whole thing in along with and check if you owe amounts .  This will result in  human intervention and the issuance of ITIN retrospectively for the  year 2018.
Good Luck
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies