turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Question with 1099-SA & 5498-SA

Hello,

I received these forms late, and had no idea i had to enter them in. As far as amending my return, I noticed the IRS website states:

"3. Don’t amend for math errors, missing forms.  You normally don’t need to file an amended return to correct math errors on your original return. The IRS will automatically correct those for you. Also, do not file an amended return if you forgot to attach tax forms, such as a Form W-2 or a schedule. The IRS will mail you a request for them in most cases."

So, in this case, should I not amend, and wait for a request from the IRS?
Also, since these were used for medical expenses in 2018, how will this affect my return?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you do not amend your returns, but wait for the IRS to write you about your 1099-SA, their letter will arrive with a bill.  Unless you report that you used the money to pay medical bills, the IRS will assume that the amount is fully taxable. 

Please revisit the 1099-SA, HSA, MSA topic after beginning your amended Federal return (on the Wages & income tab) to report your medical expenses related to your 1099-SA:

• Continue the interview to enter the 1099-SA you received.
  • Continue until you reach the page Did you spend your HSA money on medical expenses only?
  • Choose the radio button for whichever answer is correct for you:  Yes, I only used it for medical expenses or No, I didn't. 
  • If you choose No, I didn't, a sub-screen will open up with a box for you to enter the amount you actually spent on medical expenses.

Here are instructions on how to Amend My Return

You do not need to enter the Form 5498-SA in your return.  It is an information document only and you may need the information from it for your current or future returns.  Please keep it with your tax records.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you do not amend your returns, but wait for the IRS to write you about your 1099-SA, their letter will arrive with a bill.  Unless you report that you used the money to pay medical bills, the IRS will assume that the amount is fully taxable. 

Please revisit the 1099-SA, HSA, MSA topic after beginning your amended Federal return (on the Wages & income tab) to report your medical expenses related to your 1099-SA:

• Continue the interview to enter the 1099-SA you received.
  • Continue until you reach the page Did you spend your HSA money on medical expenses only?
  • Choose the radio button for whichever answer is correct for you:  Yes, I only used it for medical expenses or No, I didn't. 
  • If you choose No, I didn't, a sub-screen will open up with a box for you to enter the amount you actually spent on medical expenses.

Here are instructions on how to Amend My Return

You do not need to enter the Form 5498-SA in your return.  It is an information document only and you may need the information from it for your current or future returns.  Please keep it with your tax records.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies