Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tc109

How do I file a return for a child?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JulieR
Expert Alumni

How do I file a return for a child?

If you are preparing a return for your dependent child, you will first need to create a new TurboTax Account then select the TurboTax product appropriate for the type of income the child needs to report. You will need to indicate on the return that the child is the dependent of another taxpayer.  You will do this in the My Info section of the return. 

Below are the filing requirements for a dependent claimed on another taxpayer's return. 

A dependent who is neither age 65 of older, not blind, must file a return for 2018 tax year if he or she has: ? 

• Unearned income over $1,050 

• Earned income over $12,000 

• Gross income more than the larger of $1,050, or earned income up to $11,0650 plus $350 ? 

If income reported on Form 1099-MISC is subject to self-employment tax (usually reported in box 7 of the form) and it is over $400, she must file a tax return.  

However, if the income on 1099-MISC is not subject to self-employment tax (usually reported in box 3), no, she is not required to file a return for 2018 unless she had: 

• Unearned income over $1,050 

• Earned income over $12,000 

• Gross income more than the larger of $1,050, or earned income up to $11,0650 plus $350  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies